Sunday, July 15, 2007

Two Days before and counting down....

Wow. It's 11:26 Sunday, July 15, 2007. If you had told me one year ago I would be preparing to take my daughter to a pageant, I'm sure I would have laughed. Life sure can take some interesting turns. Let me tell you, when you pray, God hears you. And sometimes laughs, I'm sure of it. A little over three years ago, we weren't sure how Alex was going to make it. She didn't have much interest in school, or anything else. After much prayer, consults with her pediatrician and a visit to a wonderful child psychologist, we discovered that the only thing holding Alex back was fear...and a touch of ADD! But, hey...have you seen my office? She gets it from me, I'm sorry to say. I always tell her that we "creative folk" tend to lose focus, but that how we get art!!! Sounds good, doesn't it?

Alex began her fabulous year around May of 2006. She won the Charlotte Observer essay contest and got to attend the movie premiere of Cars! Red carpet and everything? From that point on, she got it. The harder she worked, the more rewards happend. She got straight "A"'s for the first time ever, got to name the school mascot, won the Wolf Pride award...as I like to say in Vegas, she's playing a winning table. It all culminated with this pageant. Wow.

So, here we are two nights before we leave, wondering if it will be great or be a giant mistake. Many (and you know who you are) think I'm setting her up for what surely will be a disappointment. Others of you have been so wonderful and supportive. The bottom line is this...if I can give Alex an opportunity to meet other girls from around the country, make new friends, learn how to speak in public, gain self-confidence, be gracious to those who win, and be proud of who she is, then it's all been worth it. Plus, she and I will have a mother-daughter memory that will last forever.

Pageant gown...$150 Pageant fees - $540 Bonding with your family...Priceless.

9 comments:

littlemamasmama said...

Good luck, Alex! I know you'll do a fabulous job representing North Carolina and all girls your age. You have made miraculous leaps since I met you in 2005 and I only look for you to continue your path to success. Remember to always keep Him in your life and listen to your parents. You can't ever go wrong with that advice! Have a wonderful time and take lots of pictures (I know your Mom will).

Good luck from one pageant girl to another;^)

Mrs. Guy (Angie to your Mom)

Ms.Jessica said...

Dear Alex,
I am so excited for you. I have been watching you on the stage since you were 4 years old and even then I knew you had a spark about you. You are a shining star and you can do anything you put your mind to. I can't wait to hear every detail about your experience. Have a great time and remember every detail so you can tell me when you get home!

Good luck!!!!

Love, Ms.Jessica

LeslieP said...

Good luck Alex! I had no idea that you were going to compete in the pageant, but am absolutely sure you are going to shine! I can think of no one that would be a better ambassador for North Carolina – your beautiful personality and love of the Lord are so much a part of who you are that it cannot be missed. Have a great time, and I look forward to your updates.
Love,
Leslie Ponder (in your Mom & Dad’s old small group from church)

Kristy Tolley said...

WOOOOOHOOOOOO!
We are SO excited for you, girl! You are going to rock it out. We are praying for you and know you will have an incredible time. We'll be anxious to hear all the details!

Peyton says HI and GOOD LUCK! We love you!
The Tolley girls (Kristy, Peyton and Madden!)

Carly said...

Hey Alex!
I'm so proud and excited for you! I remember when I started babysitting all you guys. I can't believe how old you (and I) are!! I know you're going to do great. Congradulations on winning for NC. Again, I am so proud of you. you are such a beautiful girl. Keep setting an example for girls of all ages.

LOVE YOU!
Carly :D

Annabelle said...

God's blessings to you, Alex, and to your mom also. I wish Nashville was a little closer so we could be there to cheer you on. Please know that we are cheering for you here in Charlotte and praying for you as well. Keep smiling that winning smile and be you and you'll do great! We are soooooo proud of you! Have fun - it's a wonderful opportunity filled with memories for you and your mom. Much love to you both!

Love,
Annabelle

GranMom said...

Hi Alex and Angie, we are so excited for you and proud of you. This adventure is going to be very special for you and Mom. Wes is doing great. He remembered you in his prayers last night. Alex, I think he misses you. He said he was talking to you when he woke up. He slept until 9:00. We know you will be a wonderful ambassador for NC, and that you will make many friends that you will want to keep in touch with. Remember to just have fun, be the sweet person that you are, and make wonderful memories. We love you very much, GranMom and GranDad. Oh, and tell Mom hello. You have such a FUN mom. You are very lucky, and so is she. Love to you both

designinthecity said...

Hello Girls,
Thanks so much for sharing this adventure! We are rooting for you.......Here she comes....miss pre-teen usa............have fun and keep smiling!
the valentims

designer said...

Well you girls look like you are having too much fun. I love the photos, especially the one of you before rehersal...great shot Angie! I can't wait to hear more about this and see more photos!
Whay will you be playing on the piano?
Barbara Valentim